This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Refresh Icons In The Windows Quick Launch Tool Bar

1 reply to this topic

elliottrb

elliottrb
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:00

Does anyone have a function that will refresh the Windows Quick Launch Icon bar, Desktop Icons, and Programs Folders?  I am installing icons and sometimes they do not refresh during an update.  If I could force a refresh of the desktop, programs folder, and Quick Launch icon bar, I think everything would work perfectly.

All replies are appreciated.

If no one has a function, could you tell me where to find the necessary information for me to write my own?  I am pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks,
Rob
Robert B. Elliott[br]Systems Engineer[br]Xact Radio Network, LLC.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 14:16

I am totally familiar with the problem--both from an IS perspective and a general user's perspective.  Unfortunately, I can't give you a perfect answer because the steps vary depending upon your perspective.

For users, they can simply open the shortcut and re-confirm the icon information.  This is supposed to force the icon information to truly be re-read.  Although I've found it doesn't always work.

From IS, I didn't have to really deal with the issue since the icons were changed for a new product and still during the development.  Thereby not affecting any real customers, only internal people.

That being said ... for NT-based platforms, I know they cache at least the Desktop icon information in C:\WINNT\ShellIconCache.  Deleting this file and logging off & back on will force a least those shortcuts to re-read their icon information.  I would think QuickLaunch would be included in this file as well, but I personally never use QuickLaunch and didn't make use of it in IS up until very recently.

However, in my work with Windows XP, I've found it to handle this a little different, but unfortunately I don't have a box here at home to give you the specifics.

To get a more complete answer though, I would suggest downloading & using Microsoft TweakUI's Repair option to Rebuild Icons because I know that works.  In doing so,then also use Regmon & Filemon to see what additional changes it might be making registry-wise to address this.

I'm not sure it would totally work, but another option would be to delete all of the existing shortcuts during an upgrade and re-create them from scratch.  That way any stored information should have to be re-cached.

So, hopefully, you'll be able to use all those early morning ramblings to put something together.  Good luck and I wish you success in resolving this issue!

user posted image