This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Display property in a shortcut

4 replies to this topic

Thomas OD

Thomas OD
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 14:22

hi,
Does anybody know how to display a property in a shortcut?
In fact, i try to display the "ProductVersion" in my Program's shortcut, but when i put [ProductVersion] in the field "display name", it doesn't work.
Is it possible to do that?

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 September 2001 - 15:40

I hope not, after all the trouble I went to writing CustomAction 35s to solve a similar problem ;)

Basically, that's what I think you need to do.  Write a CustomAction with
Type: 35
Source: WhateverNominalName
Target: [ProductName] v[Product Version]

Where WhateverNominalName is the name of the folder as seen in the Directory Table.

Hope that helps.

(Edited by pdriley at 4:04 pm on Sep. 24, 2001)

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 September 2001 - 15:14

Paul that will not help by itself.   The name of a short cut is of type 'Filename' so the solution is a little harder.

Thomas can create a new record in the Shortcut Table at runtime with a custom action.  Then he can create any valid shortcut name he chooses (and retain full windows installer functionality).

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 September 2001 - 16:14

Actually, while I did make a mistake there (it should have said

Target: [ProgramMenuFolder][ProductName] v[Product Version]

or

Target: [ProgramMenuFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName] v[ProductVersion]

It's not more difficult.  This is working fine for me (though I did make the same mistake that I made here... doh!).

That's another interesting idea though... hadn't thought of doing it that way :)

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 September 2001 - 20:22

Paul you are still missing the point.  The question is about the name of the shortcut not the location.
However Thomas will need to define the directory to use my suggestion,  but even then it is probably better to enter a line or two in the directory table than use CA 35.