This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Tracking Installshield build EXE

7 replies to this topic

shitij

shitij
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 10:03

Hi All,
I want to keep track of the number of times I run my Installshield build setup. Is there any way to achieve this. I can't keep this information on the system as the system can be different as well. Is there any way of keeping track of number of times the build is run through.
Thanks in advance,
####ij.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 19:11

Well if you're running your install off of the network each time, then you could have simply have a data file along side of your install in which you keep track of this information.  Just read the count each time, incremement it, and store it back out.

However, it sounds like you're looking for a solution which is more contained in the actual setup program.
user posted image

shitij

shitij
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 05:06

Quote (TacoBell00 @ Aug. 10 2002,18:11)
Well if you're running your install off of the network each time, then you could have simply have a data file along side of your install in which you keep track of this information.  Just read the count each time, incremement it, and store it back out.

However, it sounds like you're looking for a solution which is more contained in the actual setup program.

Yes exactly, I want to keep track of the number of times the build exe is run. This information need to be kept in this EXE itself. Or if it is possible to keep this information on the network.
I am still wondering how to achieve this.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 14:29

Yeah, I don't know how to do that in the EXE itself, so in the meantime you can just use a network file of your choosing.

For more information on how to do this, look at the help topics related to reading & writing of files.
user posted image

shitij

shitij
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 05:34

Quote (TacoBell00 @ Aug. 12 2002,13:29)
Yeah, I don't know how to do that in the EXE itself, so in the meantime you can just use a network file of your choosing.

For more information on how to do this, look at the help topics related to reading & writing of files.

Even if you think the file can be kept at a suitable location on the network. Can you have any idea of how and where to keep that file so as to update me with the information every time I run any computer existing within the network.
Anyway thanks very much for giving concern to replying me.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 07:20

You give up too quickly.  Also, you needent quote me every time.  That's the point of the history.

However, by the wording of your posts, I'm also guessing that English is a 2nd language.

---

In any case, that network location can be hard coded in the Installscript, so that it uses the same place each time.  Just have to make sure it's a place that is accessible from all of the necessary PCs.  The actual place & filename can be of your choosing.

Heck, if you're already posting your install to the network, it can be a file that sits right along side of it.

I think you're missing the whole point though.  The data file isn't something that comes with your Installshield project.  It's something you create and maintain on your own.  In it, just write an initial value of zero.  Then each time your setup is run have it read that line of text as a string, convert it to a number, increment it by 1, convert the updated value back to a string, and write it back out.  That way, it will go up by one each time your install is ran.

user posted image

shitij

shitij
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 07:49

I have not reached the conclusion for keeping information in a file so early. It is after lot of head scratching and then thought of getting result from here.
Yes you are right if the information is to be kept anywhere on the network then main thing is where to keep this information so as to make it accessible to all systems existing on the network.
I am saying this as I am having knowledge of my network but what about other networks for which I have no knowledge about the type of network and all that, but need to be consistent path location which remains same for every network.
For you the question may seem to be not so important but for me it values a lot.
Thanks for replying once again.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 14:52

What other networks?  I figured your were just trying to keep track of how many times it was internally run.

If you are trying to number how many times it has EVER been ran, including customers and other offsite places, then that's a whole different problem.  To do that you would have to make use of Internet capabilities, and even then, not all machines have Internet access.

However, I can see we're not making any real progress, so I bid you adieu.
user posted image