This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Firewall exceptions list

2 replies to this topic

shuttledude

shuttledude
  • Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 13:32

Is it possible to control the Windows Firewall during an Installshield Pro 5.1 program? Specifically, this is what I need to do: if the Windows Firewall is turned on, then add sqlservr.exe to the exceptions list (i.e., allow it to run).

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:36

I guess this information is somewherer in the registry, or maybe Microsoft has made an API available. Once you find this information on MSDN you will probably able to use it in InstallScript.

embaker

embaker
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 00:43

Microsoft has an Windows Firewall API.
http://msdn2.microso...y/aa366415.aspx

You need to check for Win XP SP2, server 2003 SP1, or Vista.
I tried running C++ executable on Windows 2000 that called firewall API and had many errors. Win 2000=5.0 Win XP=5.1 Server 2003=5.2 and Vista=6.0
I check to make sure they have Win XP or higher, and I am looking into how to check service pack on Win XP with IS5.x. It appears you should only use API on OS that actually has the firewall.

On Vista there is a new User Account Control. Installshield 2008 automatically handles this for you. Microsoft has code that you can add to executable to bring up dialog asking UAC for permission to run. If you disable UAC everything works, if you don't then it will say it was successful but do nothing.