This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows 95 Shell Interface

4 replies to this topic

sschiessle

sschiessle
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 17:39

I'm converting a WISE install to Installshield 11 and it has a function to detect
the Windows 95 Shell Interface (includes Win 95/98 and NT 4.0 and later) listed below:

If System Has Windows 95 Shell Interface

Does installshield have a function to detect this interface?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:15

I don't even know what the Windows 95 Shell Interface is. Do you mean the Program Manager Shell? Do you really need to support those old, unsupported operating systems?

sschiessle

sschiessle
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 19:51

We don't support Win 95 but this test from the Wise install test true when runninng on my XP machine. It's not looking for Win 95 it is looking for the 95 shell interface. I'm thinking in might be the same as SYSINFO.bShellExplorer but I was hoping to find someone who might be sure of this.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:33

Maybe the Wise documentation has more information what this check does. Or you figure it out by looking at your code - what happens if the condition is true, and what if it's false.
If I recall corrctly all Windows versions since 95 use Explorer as their shell by default (Windows 3.x used Program Manager). However this could be changed (you could use alternative shells), but I believe it no longer is.

sschiessle

sschiessle
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 14:41

I checked the Wise documentation and it did not explain the setting at all. From what you've said I really believe SYSINFO.bShellExplorer is what I'm looking for. I'll investigate a little more. Thanks for your help.