This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Question re shortcuts to Preexisting files

2 replies to this topic

andychiles

andychiles
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 15:43

Hi all,

I'm trying to create shortcuts to the windows programs "Services" and "Local Users & Groups" in my applications program folder in Start | All Programs. (eg, Start | All programs | Myprog | Services). I believe the targets for these are c:\windows\system32\services.msc and c:\windows\system32\lusrmgr.msc respectively (the systems that this is being installed on are pretty fixed, so I expect these targets to always be present in this [SystemFolder]).

I've specified these shortcuts using 'New shortcut to Preexisting file' and specified "[SystemFolder]lusrmgr.msc" (for example) as the target. And the shortcuts seem to get created ok. BUT, when it comes to using them, I get the following error:

The item 'lusrmgr.msc' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.
Nearest match based on size, date, and type: C:\WINDOWS\system32\lusrmgr.msc
Do you want to fix this shortcut to point to this target or do you just want to delete it?

This seems pretty odd to me, as the target that windows is suggesting here is the target I specified!

If anyone has any ideas how this could be fixed, it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Andy

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 14:38

.msc is not an executable, it's more like a document that opens with the associated application. Try creating a shortcut to the exe, passing the .msc on the command line, something like this:
c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe c:\windows\system32\services.msc

andychiles

andychiles
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 21:50

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Andy