This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Why use common files folder?

2 replies to this topic

JustinCase1089

JustinCase1089
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 16:08

Hi

If you have a company that has a series of different products that share some binaries. Is there a purpose in using the common files folder at all? Why not just dump everything in the same folder in program files saving me a path variable when dll's need to be used by the applications in the program files folder? Does it say anywhere anything about best practice for the use of common files?

Best Regards
Justin Case

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 13:48

We have several products that we put in the same Program Files folder, including the files in common among them. We also have a product or two that gets installed elsewhere, but shares one or two files with the majority. Those shared files we put in a Program Files\Common Files subfolder.

In my opinion, it depends on the usage of the files, and in the scenario you outline, I see nothing wrong in putting the common dlls with the other executables, so long as those files are always compatible with all the applications that may be installed there.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 19:40

Scenarios where you may want only one copy of the file on the machine might be:
- the file is very large or used by many products (to reduce disk space)
- it's a COM server that gets registered (to avoid that registry might point to an older version in another folder)