This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1500 Installshield 2.03

5 replies to this topic

mcummins

mcummins
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 02:53

After installing a product on W2K machine the user removed the files without uninstalling.  When they now go to Windows add/remove programs to try and remove the product I get
"ERROR 1500. Another Installation is in progress.  You must complete that installation before continuing with this one."

Please help!!!!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 18:41

#Moderation Mode

Wrong forum. Moving to Windows Installer Runtime Errors.

Moved here

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 18:42

There are some registry entries you can delete to make that error disappear I think. There's sometihing about this in Microsoft's knowledge base (for Office 2000).

In addition (or alternatively) you could use the MsiZap tool from Microsoft to remove the remainders of the installation from registry.

jcardina

jcardina
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 01:21

We have the same problem.  I noticed that others posted this problem before but no solid replies.  We tried removing the InProgress registry key and checked the runonce registry keys but to no avail.  The setup starts every time the computer is rebooted. It appears twice in the task list, one PID of 330 and the other of 1400 so it's loading once early in the boot and again later in the boot.  The early one can be manually stopped, but the latter one can not.

Any attempt to uninstall or install any program results in a 1500 error and so we can't install the microsoft zap utility and it can't be run without being installed apparently (how's that for good planning? :)

I've been looking for a solution for a week and nothing found so far.  

If anyone knows what is responsible for launching the windows installer other than the two registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->SOFTWARE ->Microsoft ->Windows ->CurrentVersion ->Installer ->InProgress

or the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->SOFTWARE ->Microsoft ->Windows ->CurrentVersion ->RunOnce

registry areas I would love to know about it.

- John

pantoine

pantoine
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 04:14

I ran into this once.

I've found that if you disable the MSI service (in the MMC), and then clear the InProgress key and RunOnce keys, AND then reboot, you're able to install the MSICleanup utility.  MsiCleanUp is then able to clear out the installation.

Disabling MSI should prevent that early MSI process from starting.

jcardina

jcardina
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 04:59

Apparently an in-house tech support person found the solution to the problem at our client's site after consulting with Microsoft tech support and this is what he wrote us back:

Used msconfig utility to prevent registry from loading, then was able to uninstall {our software} and to install version 2 of msiexec.exe (microsoft), and current version of iiscript.msi (installation wizard - 3rd party).