This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Allow multiple installs

3 replies to this topic

douglaskarr

douglaskarr
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 03:48

??? I'm setting up an installation package in IS7 Dev.  If the setup is executed, rather than remove, repair, reinstall - I'd like "Install in another directory", remove, repair, reinstall.

Is this possible?  Thanks!  :D dak@astech-intermedia.com
Thanks,
Doug

chrisp

chrisp
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 11:24

I have  a similar problem and I think the only thing I can do is to change the product code for each build. This means that it wont be recognised as the same product so you won't get the repair, uninstall etc option as it won't go into MAINTENANCE mode. It will effectivly treat it as a new product. I don't think I can use this as a solution for my needs but thought it might be of interest.

KURTB

KURTB
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 13:43

I have the same problem,  has anybody found a solution?

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 11:07

An installed product is identified by it's product code. As long as this product (product code) is installed, Windows Installer will run a msi with this product code in maintenance mode. If you really want to install it a second time you have to use a different product code.

But I really don't understand why it should be necessary to install a product twice. If I want to run an application twice, I start it two times. If I want it to run with different options, the program itself should allow a selection of the options to be used. If there shall be the possibility to start the application with different options via a shortcut, then install two shortcuts which include the different options as command line parameters or something like that.
h.teichert-ott