This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Build an old release

1 reply to this topic

Patrick Simons

Patrick Simons
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:57

I'm a newbe in IS 2008. I made a package with features and components. All source files resides in a "pool"-directory with subfolders.

For building a new release I update some files in the "pool" and create a minor upgrade. So far so good.

Question: will it be possible to rebuild the (first) initial release after creating the upgrade?

What is the correct rule of thumb to maintain older "states" within releases? Or is it normal to always overwrite previous files...?

This problem also occurs when "COM Extract at build" ist used. The component in my pool isn't the one that is officially registered on my Dev-PC. So I always must pay attention that the registry-info works with the DLL in my source-pool.
Tx,

Patrick, MCP

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 16:09

Hi Patrick,

I think that you would have to have a build environment which can be made "clean" so that you can build versions of your product which are older. You would pull your older code and install project from source control and should be able to build then.

I have been through the COM registration problem with older versions before. There are a bunch of ways to fix this I guess, one might be to register and unregister COM components for each build, although, this can still leave you with a dirty registry (you could use a tool, such as RegFixer, to clean up your build system after you unregister the components ...), or, another possibility is to use vmware images for your build environment, which can be reverted back to a clean state for each build.

Just some suggestions, I hope this helps,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net