This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install button and UAC

8 replies to this topic

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 15:58

Hallo!

Does someone know, if we have to add the "Shield icon" to the install button in the ReadyToInstall dialog?

And if, how to?

Thanks in advance!
Johannes

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 16:55

Hello!

Does someone can confirm my suggestion of a solution:

Add 8388608 (0x00800000, msidbControlAttributesElevationShield ) to the attribut of the button in the control table?

Suggested dialogs and buttons:

ReadyToInstall; InstallNow
ReadyToRemove; RemoveNow

Thanks for any confirmation!
Johannes

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 15:00

If your setup requires elevated rights and thus will trigger the UAC dialog, then you should add the shield icon.
I haven't looked at the exect values but msidbControlAttributesElevationShield looks promising.

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:26

Hello,

there's a further dialog:

AdminNetworkLocation with the InstallNow button.

During the Administrative Installation, the admin account seams to be required too.

Regards!
Johannes

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 17:02

What about Change and Repair buttons?

More importantly, when I add this attribute, I never see the shield... nor does the act of clicking the button give a UAC prompt. What do I need to add to convince the installer that elevation will be needed on the button press?

Many thanks,
Gareth

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:18

Hello Gareth,

to get the UAC prompt,
start a WI-Setup on VISTA at a standard user, not the admin nor a user of the admin group. You get the UAC prompt, when the InstallFinalize will be started.

I'm going to check the maintenance dialogs.

Regards
Johannes

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 16:23

Thanks for your 'non-administrator' pointer Johannes - I now see the shield. But, I really want it to appear for Repair, Remove and the Administrator (who doesn't have the priveledges until the Install button is clicked and the UAC prompt comes up) accounts.

I really am beginning to think that there's a huge bug in all this MS technology somewhere... my installs can be uninstalled by locked-down users with no UAC prompt at the moment!! I can't think of a better way to really annoy network administrators.

Regards,
Gareth

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 16:58

Hello Gereth,

have a look at:

http://technet.micro...a/aa905108.aspx

Regards,
Johannes

P.S. The admin doesn't needs the shield, because he has the wright to get the elevation, whenever he wants.

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:45

Hello!

To: "What about Change and Repair buttons?"

These two buttons in the "MaintenaceType" dialog lead at the end to the "ReadyToInstall" dialog.
The Remove button in the "MaintenaceType" dialog leads to the "ReadyToRemove" dialog.

But I myself don't get the shield on the "Remove" button in the "ReadyToRemove" dialog!

Does someone has an explanation?
Is there a bug or do we/I have to do more?

Thanks in advance!
Johannes