This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to make a package supports 32-bit & 64-bit OS?

3 replies to this topic

danielxu22

danielxu22
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:02

Hi,

I read some posts about this topic in the installation forums. Unfortunately, I still could not find any solutions.

I want to create an Installation that supports 32-bit and 64-bit platforms and installing hardware drivers for each platform. (all in one package).
Because of our customer (Quanta) wants us to build installation package for all Microsoft Platforms (Vista32, Vista64, XP, XP64, Win2k).
And now, we have all drivers installation (.msi packages) for each OS platforms, including Vista Beta 2 & Vista64.

My problem is I could not use the value "AMD64,IA64,Intel;1033" in the Template Summary Property, contains all OS platforms of Microsoft.

I just find another way, which is a tool named Autorun Program for MSI Packages of http://www.installsi...en/msi/tips.htm.
It use a windows Application to separate the Microsoft Platforms and launch .msi package for each destination driver.

I think this is not a good idea. Anyone's help will be welcome.

Thanks
Daniel

haroldxious

haroldxious
  • Full Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:32

i have the same problem..but base on what ive read..
http://msdn2.microso...y/aa372070.aspx

A Windows Installer package cannot be marked as supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms; for example, Template Summary property values such as Intel,x64 or Intel,Intel64 are invalid.

kinglemur

kinglemur
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:39

QUOTE (haroldxious @ 2007-02-07 08:32)
i have the same problem..but base on what ive read..
http://msdn2.microso...y/aa372070.aspx

A Windows Installer package cannot be marked as supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms; for example, Template Summary property values such as Intel,x64 or Intel,Intel64 are invalid.

That's a pretty serious limitation for the Windows Installer engine.

I've got the same problem. More than half of our customers are insisting that separate installers for 32- and 64-bit platforms are unacceptable from a usability standpoint. They say a substantial number of end-users can be expected not to know which type of platform they're running, and they've got a point. If I went and asked my parents to tell me whether they're running a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system, they're likely to look blankly at me for a few seconds and then tell me that they're pretty sure it's Windows XP.

David

amitsgupte

amitsgupte
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:10

Yes I agree.. this is a very critical drawback of the engine. In my opinion the ideal way of abstracting multiple installer packages from the customer, is to have a bootstrap(setup.exe) which internally spawns the appropriate msi based on the processor architecture detected.

This saves a lot of hassle for the user. And on the flip side, bootstrap can perform additional tasks for you! .(Advanced logging for instance..)