This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

New conditional components cause no file update

3 replies to this topic

Mr. X

Mr. X
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:35

I added 2 new components to an existing Developer8 sp2 feature. One installs a text file for WindowsServer2003 (VersionNT=502) and the other installs a different version of the same file (into the same location) for Windows2000Server & XP (VersionNT<=502).

While incremental upgrades work correctly, upgrading from an earlier branch fails...it appears to work correctly (no error reported) but when you examine the bin folder no files have been updated for the main Feature. This problem is apparent on WindowsServer2000 (unclear if this impacts other platforms, some evidence that this may not be a problem on XP but inconclusive).

It seems very strange that these 2 components could effect the installation of
other components in the same feature.

Additional info.:
These 2 componentshave now been shared with a second Feature. Installation of all Features again showed the first feature failed to upgrade (but again, no error was reported) but strangely the second feature upgraded successfully.

Mr. X

Mr. X
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:40

...additionally, it seems odd that there is a difference in behavior between an incremental upgrade from the previous release and an upgrade from an earlier version...I would have expected no difference.

Mr. X

Mr. X
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 14:00

New information:
If I export the new Components from the known-good project in the previous branch (of our source control system), InstallShield allows
me to overwrite my manually re-implemented updates in the tip project.
These updates seem to work, although it looks like the only differences are:

1. the GUID of the components differ (export makes the tip GUIDs match the branch GUIDs).

2. the name of one of the components was different (the one for Win2000)

..it is possible that some other minor differences might exist.

--
Surprisingly the GUID differences did not seem to cause a problem when
upgrading from an even earlier branch to the branch mentioned above
(the tip and both branches have had the same update manually applied).

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 15:27

A verbose log file should clarify what's going on.