This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Set the permissions in the Registry

7 replies to this topic

RomanB

RomanB
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 14:46

I am setting a lot of string in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Under Windows NT and 2000 the Setup has to be started unter the user Administtrator. Teh setup is working fine, but if you cahange to another user, the rights for the entries in the registry are set so, that just the administrator has the permissins the program needs. Does anybody know a solution to set the permissions in the setup script.
Thank you for any help

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 20:53

What's the permission level of this other account?  Administrator, Power User, User, etc.

Another Admin would be able to read & write HK_LOCAL_MACHINE.  A Power User would be able to just read it. A User should able to read it as well, but I haven't had experience with this level of access.

Typically you want to put global information in HK_LOCAL_MACHINE and customized information in HK_CURRENT_USER.

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 13:37

try to launch regini.exe and set the needed registry permission.

Fouad

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 15:16

There's no such thing as regini.exe.

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 15:57

Regini

Regini.exe is a versatile tool for making mass changes to the Registry. While not as easy to use as Regedit, it is capable of doing much more than just adding keys and values. You can delete keys and make some minor changes to Registry security. Regini also supports a form of logging that lets you know whether the changes you make actually succeed.

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/237/2.html

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 18:03

Ahh, interesting.  I'll have to check that out.

However, I don't think that would help him since it wouldn't be accessible from his setup script in order to get this right in the first place.

Maximilien

Maximilien
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 18:06

A normal user need not write in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, I think the program must only read from there and subsenquently, write and read from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER ...

rags33

rags33
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 22:14

Hi,

I have the same problem. My setup sets the registry entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. The permissions for the administrators are FULL. Any user who is not an administrator will have only the read permissions.

This is under the machinename\Power Users\.

Is there a way in which we set set the permissions through installshield for all the users?

Thanks