This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing Multiple Instances of Products

3 replies to this topic

verti

verti
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:20

Hello,

I am using InstallShield X (v10.0) and would like to create the following:
A single project (msi) that will let me install my project more than only once per machine\user, in a deferent path every time.

I need this project\installation to be able to run on any Windows OS.

How can I avoid the limitation of one ProductCode per application?

Regards,

Yehuda

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:59

You could:
- create multipe msi files with different product codes
- remove the Register Product actions (not recommended! Your product cannot be unistalled)
- use the InstallScript project type (without MSI)

verti

verti
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:45

Thank you very much Stefan.

Unfortunatly, creating multiple msi is not a valid option for our product and so is the "non-MSI" solution.

So, I set Register Product with "0" condition.
It really helped to solve the "maintanance mode" but.... I need every single installation to write itself in the Add\Remove list.
How can I do it?

BTW,
I read Windows Installer help file (titled as "Installing Multiple Instances with Instance Transforms") and found that I can do it with MST file, but:
1) It is not 100% clear to me if I need multiple MSTs (per instance) or it is
possible to do it with a single MST ?
2) It is not 100% clear to me if the "multiple instance" mst file is something I should get with my OS, or a file that I should create?
3) What OS this solution (working with multiple instance MST file) supports?

Thanks,

Yehuda

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:11

1) You need one transform per instance, see MSI SDK:
you need to author a base installation package for the product and an instance transform for each instance to be installed in addition to the base instance

So the number of transforms you create and ship with your product limits the number of instances your users can install.

2) You create the transforms (MSTs), see MSI SDK:
Author an instance transform for each instance being installed in addition to the base instance. The base package may install its own instance.
The instance transform must change the product code and identifier for each instance.

3) MSI's multi-instance support requires Windows 2000 SP 4, Windows XP SP1, Windows Server 2003, or above, with MSI 3, see MSI SDK:
Starting with the installer running the Microsoft®Windows Server 2003 family and Windows XP SP1, you can install multiple instances of a product by using product code transforms and one .msi package or one patch. You can also use product code transforms to install multiple instances of a product with Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows Installer  3.0. The only way to install more than one instance of a product with previous versions of the installer is to have a separate installation package for each instance.