This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

running an MSI from an MSI

3 replies to this topic

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 00:52

I'm sure this is possible and I know how to do it in an Installscript project, but being new to the MSI project type, how do I launch a Windows Installer package from within my basic MSI project. Basically, I want to install SQL 2005 Express, but only do it based on the features selected by the user. Since it's conditional, the Installshield provided prerequisite isn't quite what I'm looking for. Any ideas? Thanks!

-- spdygnlz --

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:08

Unfortunately there no real way to do this, at least no method that is recommended.
If you need to install SQL Express conditionally then you could launch the SQL Express installer after your setup instead of before.

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 17:34

As Stefan says, create a CA to run the second MSI as deffered and don't wait for the return code. Your install should complete while the second MSI is just copying its files to your temp folder and will run up just fine. The only problem you might encounter is if your install requires a reboot and may do so while the second install is running.

Regards,
Gareth

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 18:12

As Stefan says, create a CA to run the second MSI as deffered and don't wait for the return code

That's not what I meant - I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
There is no recommended and reliable way to run an MSI setup from another MSI setup. The only recommended solution is an external exe that invokes the two setups sequentially. InstallShield setup.exe does this with the prerequisite functionality, but it can only install SQL express in the before your own setup, not after. So you need to write a small exe yourself to run your own msi first, and then runs the SQL Express setup, or offers the SQL option beforehand, then runs the two setups.