This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install script custom action in Basic MSI linking to dialogs

4 replies to this topic

nilesh

nilesh
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 13:37

Goal: working MSI installer which will be used for silent installation  

Background: I am rewriting install script project installer to basic MSI project to get MSI installer as a client requirement 

Till now below things are covered:

1. Setup design, features and component 

2. dependent application required for product

3. Shortcuts

4. Supported files

Present: I want to use existing install script which was used in Install script project to MSI. This install script will map actions and dialog associated with the installer, in MSI using Install script custom action in MSI. So for every function i will create separate custom action and map that to particular dialog box.

Help Needed: how can i will modify existing install script which will run Basic MSI project with Minimal effort.

Note: I have already tried converting basic MSI project to Install script MSI and that is not feasible as it is giving me lot of error and i have to rework on whatever i have done till now. We have to deliver MSI as early as possible so don't have time to rework.

can anyone please help me

Regards,

Nilesh

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 18:30

You can call a custom action from a dialog using the DoAction event, but I seem to recall a problem doing this with InstallScript action.

What are those custom actions doing? Windows Installer uses a somehat different strategy than InstallScript, so trying to make MSI workl like a InstallScript doesn't make sense.

nilesh

nilesh
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:40

Thanks for reply Stefan.

I want to use custom action in same way as you mentioned, call that respective function in other way custom action from associated dialog.

Install script custom action will have function like get user information, validate key through dialog and validate that user input and validate key through install script function.

But i am unable to use install script function as it is from old installer which was install script project. how can i can modify install script usage in basic MSI project.

1) I have already tried Admin Studio Repackager to convert exe to MSI but it doesn't worked as expected. Admin Studio guys saying they can not convert complex install script project (output as .exe) to .msi. 

2) Even there was suggestion to convert basic MSI to Install script MSI to use install script function with minimal changes but i will lost whatever work i have done till now with Basic MSI project, feature and component are having problem. I don't have that much time to deliver MSI to client.

So only option i have to rewrite install script project to Basic MSI project. 

Please share your thought.

Thanks,

Nilesh

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 19:09

Like I wrote before: You can use a DoAction event on a dialog button to call a custom action.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:59

Sweet Holy Mother of God! In all this time you could have repackaged the thing from scratch!

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.