This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

problem with upgrade or uninstall

1 reply to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 18:12

i've been reading the threads on the FilesInUse dialog in hopes of figuring out a solution to my problem and seem to come upon a loop hole.

it seems that the FilesInUse dialog only appears when a file is being held by an application with an active window. so how does MSI treat files that are being held but do not have an active window? a service for example OR how about explorer itself.

i have a DLL that hooks into windows explorer and FilesInUse dialog does not pop up telling me to close windows explorer (which for the common user wouldn't make sense anyway)

as well as not telling me that my file is being used by windows explorer, MSI also tries to install that file and throws an error when trying to register it.

is there anyway to just mark a file to be replaced on reboot without having to go through the FilesInUse dialog? i have a CA that can detect whether or not my files are locked so all i need to do is tell MSI to replace these on reboot and prompt the user to reboot.
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:53

I dont think that you can achieve this with the default windows installer setup. You will need to write a custom action to add data into the registry so that the files are replaced after reboot.