This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multi-CD install asking for disk 1 again

8 replies to this topic

BBrownlee

BBrownlee
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 20:22

Hi all,

I have a multi-disk install (2 CDs) that has just recently begun asking for Disk 1 again at the very end of the install. I'm trying to figure out how to stop this from happening. The message I get is "Please insert the disk labeled NAME_OF_CD" and I get the options Cancel, Try Again, and Continue; instead of the normal "Please insert Disk 1 that contains Data1.cab" as it does for Disk 2's prompt. This happens at 99% complete.

Any help is appreciated. I'd like for it not to ask for disk 1 again, it is confusing my customers!

Thanks,
Brandon

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 20:46

No help here as I've never personally had an install big enough where I needed more than one CD.  At least not yet. **knocks on wood**"

However, it sounds like my last install experience with Neverwinter Nights.  They made use of IS (6.31 if I recall correctly). It obviously started with Disc 1, but then prompted for Disc 2, the Play Disc, and then Disc 1 again at the end.  Man, I wanted to shoot that the thing by the time it finally got done.  Then, after all that, had to do the online update because the offline one was not recommended. **sigh**

user posted image

BBrownlee

BBrownlee
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 23:07

Heh, thanks Taco ;) Multi disk installs are never fun, and updating immediatly after install is always super fantastic!

I have a program that deals with customs publications. The data itself is 1.2 gigs, give or take a meg or two. A few of the files are very large, and I'm thinking that for some reason IS is spanning them across the two volumes in three different ways, if that makes sense.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 03:56

Yeah, I gotcha.  That would make sense.

Although, I don't quite follow your math.  Two volumes sure, but how do you get three different ways.  Obviously one is the CAB compression and other is a file splitter of some sort, but what's the third method?
user posted image

BBrownlee

BBrownlee
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 22:17

By two volumes in three ways I mean this:

One 600 meg file, broken apart like so; 300 megs on disk one, 200 megs on disk two, then the third split 100 megs back on disk one, in that order. Or something like that. Its the only reason I can think that IS would want Disk 1 again.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 09:49

You should be able to verify your theory by looking at the disk images and count the cab files...

Are you sure that prompt for disk 1 os coming from InstallShield? Maybe it's the operating system that detects that a cd has been removed that is in use by a running application (I've seen such prompts on Win98, however in the look of a blue screen). Does Cancel work?

Maybe you can avoid this by either running setup.exe from the local hard disk (using a pre-copy tool that would copy setup.exe to the temp dir), or by making sure both cds have the same volume label AND media serial number (check your cd write software) so the OS won't recognize the change.
You can also disable the media change detection in the OS (at least for testing purposes)

Lucky

Lucky
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 11:47

I think this problem is mentionend in the IS 6.31 bug report, isn't it?
Multi-CD Setups Unexpectedly Prompt for Disk 1
Description:
Multiple CD installations sometime prompt for Disk 1 at various times during the install.
Workarounds:
Instruct end-users to place the correct CD in the drive when this message occurs, and the setup will complete normally.
InstallShield stated that this is a limitation of the operating system and only occurs for some CD ROM drives and operating system versions.
Created: 2001-05-05    Last update: 2001-09-08   InstallShield Tracking Number: unknown

BBrownlee

BBrownlee
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 17:57

Thanks Lucky.  At least I can stop wondering what is causing this. It seems to me that it occurs on every install on any operating system though. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Much appreciated.

gsc1ugs

gsc1ugs
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 15:45

Hi

Can you tell me how to span over more than one CD...how i set it up?

gsc