This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problem installing prerequisites

4 replies to this topic

Usman Javaid

Usman Javaid
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:05

I have created an InstallScriptMSI setup. The setup has 2 prerequisites. One of them is the .msi file. I called msiexec.exe and pass that msi file as a parameter. i.e. msiexec.exe /i mysql-essential-4.1.14-win32.msi /qn
I want the installation in hidden mode thats why /qn is appended.

The problem is on a FRESH machine, with Win2000(sp4) without any updates installed. The setup will give an error message that msi.dll not found! and then it failed the installation of prerequisite.

The setup has instmsi30.exe on disk1 folder but it will check the existance of windows installer after proceeding from prerequisite installation.

One more thing to mention that while building prerequisite I include msiexec.exe of Windows Installer 3.1. The thing is in prerequisite builder there is no way to attach the target system's msiexec.exe. And I know that will cause a problem.

But the thing is why the setup is not checking the Windows Installer version prior installing the prerequisites???

One more thing I don't want to include WINDOWS INSTALLER in my prerequisite list, as its already there on the disk1 folder.

Waiting for a prompt reply...

Regards

Usman Javaid
Sr. SCM Engineer
Sensys Inc.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 20:13

That's a known problem in IS 11.5 that should be fixed in Update 1. See "Prerequisites that require MSI 3.1 fail to install" at http://www.installsi...bugs_isw115.htm

kstruik

kstruik
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 22:02

Thanks Stephan

From InstallShield

for 11.5- Workaround:
Don't install the MSI 3.1 runtime files with your setup (install MSI 2.0 or none at all), or build a custom prerequisite to install MSI 3.1 instead of using the option in Release wizard.

I have the same prerequisite issue. Delivery has to be via group policy and I have not been able to to create an MSI 3.1 .msi. I have seen mention of using "LaunchAppandWait" but don't quite understand how to implement this to get over this hurdle.

Days wasted...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:30

If you want to deploy via GPO you need a pure .msi file. You cannot install any prerequisites (as this uses setup.exe). It's also impossible to distribute the msi runtime with a pure .msi file. In such a corporate environment the administrator should be responsible (and be in control) for pre-deploying the msi runtime and other prerequisites.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:32

Oh, and you should not use the "InstallScript MSI" project type if you want to deploy via GPO. Use "Basic MSI" instead.