This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Maintenance Installation

6 replies to this topic

Gulfam

Gulfam
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 19:58

I am using Visual Studio 8 and Orca to create my installation package. With this, I am unable to implement Modify feature. package is installing fine. And Repair and Remove feature are working fine. But Modify is not working. I dont know what to do to add/remove feature(s) in Maintenance Installation. Any help is highly appreciated.

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:05

Use another Develomnet Environment, like WiX. Visua Studio use only one Feature, but you need more than one Feature to implement Add/Remove. Additional VS implement no Dialog to support this functionality.

Regards
Andreas

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:09

I second you Andreas, Wix is awesome, and easy to learn for programmers. Try with the new Votive GUI as well. Well worth it!
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Gulfam

Gulfam
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:39

Thanks alot for your replies.

Well, My package has three features (i've added these programmaticaly using installer DB functions), and I've added a dialog with three Check-boxes, every check-box corresponds to a feature. During Install, i can select any combination of features to install. and it works perfectly fine. But when i try to add a feature after first install (i.e. maintenance install) then no new feature(s) added, only the already installed features can be repaired or removed. I need to know, what I need to do to install a feature, not already installed, in Maintenance Install.

Thank you very much in advance

waiting ...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 17:34

How does your check-box dialog select or unselect features? Usually you should use control events like AddLocal or Remove on the "Next" button of the dialog.

Gulfam

Gulfam
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:02

I have a property (for check or uncheck info) attached with every check-box. And I have a condition for each feature in the condition table, where, the level of a 'featuer' will be changed according to check-box property. And, as a feature with a level value higher than of INSTALLLEVEL value will not get installed, feature specific installation is performed. Unfortunately, this is not working for maintenance install.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 15:58

Feature conditions are evaluated during CostFinalize, which usually si scheduled before your dialogs, so thoise conditions don't really work (they might work in some caseswhere the CostFinalize action is executed again in the Execute sequence, but you shouldn't rely on this).
The recommended method is using Control Events like AddLocal and Remove on the "Next" button of your checkbox dialog.