This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

REMOVE vs. Add\Remove

1 reply to this topic

jdm

jdm
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 18:20

Question: What is the functional difference between selecting Uninstall from Control Panel\Add Remove software and re-running an installation and selecting Remove?

Situation: I am using InstallScript in my MSI for the purpose of renaming and moving files and creating custom names for shortcuts. I store the nessary information in the registry so the items can be deleted at uninstall. This works for all of my items except the shortcut. When I run the Uninstall from Add\Remove Programs, the shortcut is not deleted, however, when I run the uninstall by re-running the installation and selecting Remove, the shortcut is deleted.

Can you please explain how this could be?
Death is conquered while you slumber
Seven is the perfect number

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 14:27

The biggest difference I can think of off-hand is that choosing uninstall from Add/Remove Programs runs silently (no UI sequence) where rerunning the MSI and choosing "remove" obviously runs the UI sequence.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com