This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

upgrade: new components not installed

Best Answer lavocat , 13 November 2013 - 16:44

I was my fault, I've made my tests without adding manifest requiring elevated privileges to update.exe...

Go to the full post

9 replies to this topic

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:42

Hi,

we have x installers:

v 1.0.1

v 1.0.2

v 1.0.3

updating from version n to n+x using patch as "upgrade.exe" build with InstallShield patch creation, leads to this problem: new components are not installed,

log file shows SELMGR messages as " SELMGR: New components have been added to feature 'FeatureXY'

There is no other kinds of SELMGR messages.

but, if we patch (minor upgrade) using the full setup, we also get same SELMGR message but the new components are installed.

Another difference found in log file is the following:

using upgrade.exe, problematic features are Advertised: "Feature: FeatureXY; Installed: Advertise;   Request: Reinstall;   Action: Reinstall"

this is not the case in log file generated with full setup.

We have respected component rules, never removed any component from any feature...

Any idea?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:19

An I guess the component has actually been installed locally, not advertised, in the first place.

All cases where I've seen a component switching from local to advertised during a minor update was when the component rules had been violated (ComonentId GUID changed for instance, can happen with dynamic file links) and in this case there should be SELMGR error indicating that a component had been removed.

Apparently this is not the case here, so I'm baffled.

That SELMGR message about added components: did you actually add those components, or is this also a mysterious message?

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:25

Yes, we actually add those components in existing Features.

If you are baffled, I'm baffled too  :(

Frustrating! We don't want to go to major upgrade, it displays like a full setup do, could not be delivered as a patch.

Thank you 

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:41

The dialogs displayed during a Major Upgrade could be adjusted. But it's not recommended to ship them as a patch.

Do you also get components that Switch from local to advertised, or just features? Are the added components in those problematic Features?

Please also check the values of REINSTALL and ALLLOCAL in the logs of the working and the failing update.

One Thing you could try: add a new (invisible) sub-feature and add the new components to it, instead of adding the components to an existing feature. Make sure the new Feature is set to follow it's parent feature.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:04

"Do you also get components that Switch from local to advertised, or just features?"
No

Patch log file:
REINSTALLMODE=omus 
REINSTALL=ALL
ADDLOCAL not set

Full setup/minor upgrade log file:
REINSTALLMODE=vomus
REINSTALL=ALL 
IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1
ADDLOCAL=... (some features)

Yes, new features could be a solution

Regards,

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 17:21

ADDLOCAL might be the problem. Try setting it in the same way to see if that helps.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 15:21

setting ADDLOCAL does not solve the problem.

I've a clue, previous patches don't have this issue. Only the last one.

This last one contains more changes thant previous ones. I'll search for some compenents breaking rules.

Edited by lavocat, 12 November 2013 - 15:23.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:31

didn't find anything.

Patching from 1.0.1 or from any other (as 1.0.99) to the last patch leads to the same issue.

Performing patch validation didn't found anything.

I'm out of ideas

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:48

in log file, I can see INSTALLDIR is set to the default path, not the path where product is actually installed.

Edited by lavocat, 13 November 2013 - 13:48.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 16:44   Best Answer

I was my fault, I've made my tests without adding manifest requiring elevated privileges to update.exe...