This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Restart Manager

3 replies to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:49

When i uninstall my software on Longhorn, there is a dialog box which which asks the user to

1. Automatically close applications and attempt to restart after the setup is complete OR
2. Do not close the applications (A reboot will be required)

Is this due to the restart manager on Longhorn. I don't see such dialog box when i uninstall on win2k3 or win2k.

How can i disable this dialog box or how can i decouple the msi from restart manager. I tried using the property MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL and set it to disable in the MSI. This did not help. Is there some other way of disabling restart manager or how should this property be used?

Thanx!

Edited by aarthi_m, 02 August 2006 - 10:51.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 19:49

Yes this looks like the Restart Manager. What's wrong with it? Would you prefer the old-fashioned FilesInUse dialog?

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:55

Thanks Stephan !

I don't want that dialog box. I would prefer the services to stop without expecting any input from the user like it used to happen in windows 2000 or windows 2003.

Hence, i tried to disable restart maanger by using MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL property. I edited the msi using installshield, added this property and set it to disable. This does not help.

Does the property requite LH SDK? I use win2k3 SDK. Wondering if that is the reason why it is not working.

Also, how do i get back to the old filesinuse dialog?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 16:47

If your setup is properly authored to stop the services this should work on all Windows versions. Are there any specific messages in the log that suggest the services cannot be stopped on Vista (maybe a permission problem)?

What's different betwenn Vista and older versions of Windows is that MSI4/Vista has better capabilities to detect running processes that conflict with the setup. Before Vista running services were often simply not detected, so the problem was there but your setup didn't notice. Now on Vista it sees the problem and reports it.

See also this chat transcript: What's New in Windows Installer 4.0 (November 15, 2005)
Carolyn [MSFT] (Expert):
Q: our pain is not only to reboot, we have more trouble to stop or kill the application! What is with user documents?
A: With the integration with restart manager, MSI can request that it shutdown all in-use applications and services. The enhanced support allows MSI to better detect files in use for window apps, console apps, services, and sys tray apps. You're probably already aware that MSI was limited in this manner in earlier versions to just window apps. The restart manager support also provides the way to force shutdown as well, but that's usually an impolite method. Part of the education here is to get application developers to write applications that are more responsive to shutdown messages, and with the save the state ability can be restarted right where they left off. Can you clarify the "what is with user documents?" part of your question?