This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade failes when incrementing build number in product version

2 replies to this topic

Rajkumar

Rajkumar
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:35

I have a problem with major upgrade I created in Basic MSI project. Initially my product version is 6.0.5.001. Then I created major upgrade for the next versions (6.0.5.002, 6.0.5.003, .... 6.0.5.035). It was working fine as removed previous installed version completed from machine and installed current version without any issues. Then I increased my build number to 6 and start the revision from first like 6.0.6.001. I created major upgrade like before.

For some reason I don't understand, I keep getting the following error in the log: "A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer...."

The executable version installed on the computer is 6.0.5.035 and the version I'm trying to install is 6.0.6.001. Also when I created the major upgrade I changed the product code and version.

Does anyone has an idea what could be the problem?

I searched lot in google regarding this issue but I was found the solution till now.

Please anyone help me to resolve this problem.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 17:38

I change the product and package code when I make Major upgrades but I don't think this is the issue here. 

Try looking at the major upgrade settings to make sure the versions you are triggering on are really older versions.

Your previous attempts were actually all the same "version" or installer.  Changing the 4th number doesn't distinguish a new version as the number is ignored by Windows Installer.  In this description of Product Version, it does not mention the 4th number: https://msdn.microso...9(v=vs.85).aspx

I have read explicitly that the 4th number is ignored but I can't find the link at the moment. 

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 18:59

Sounds like you didn't change the ProductCode and thus are doing a minor update. Are you launching the update via setup.exe or by double clicking the msi file?