This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Missing Network Drive Causing Self-Repair

7 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 14:46

We have a user in-house that has installed our software while attached to our network. When attached, he has an F:\ drive, but when unattached or at home, this drive is not available. When installed, this F:\ has nothing to do with the application's installation really, as it is installed to C:\. While at work, he can use the installed application without problem.

Now, at home, he gets a self repair that indicates the following in the Event Viewer:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 4/25/2007
Time: 8:34:39 AM
User: OURDOMAIN\My.Name
Computer: WKST18
Description:
Detection of product '{97DD59C8-167B-4571-B370-D4B1288BA4D3}', feature 'Complete', component '{D1EED7D0-B9D3-40B7-8872-E25B1D024009}' failed. The resource 'F:\' does not exist.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 4/25/2007
Time: 8:34:39 AM
User: OURDOMAIN\My.Name
Computer: WKST18
Description:
Detection of product '{97DD59C8-167B-4571-B370-D4B1288BA4D3}', feature 'Complete' failed during request for component '{FCF8A45E-0258-48A9-853B-59167525F744}'

Why is this a problem when off our network (F:\ no longer available) when this drive has nothing to do with the application or it's function.

My thought was that possibly, at time of initial installation, this F:\ may have had the most available space, which would cause it to be the default (I think). For some reason, this information is held even though it is irrelevent to the installation. But, this is just a guess!!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 15:16

You need to check what the key path is for the component {D1EED7D0-B9D3-40B7-8872-E25B1D024009} and post that here. Msiexec is finding a broken key path and is looking for the installation media to put the missing file / registry entry in place.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 21:41

This component is actually a Wise specific component which basically contains two Remove File items that executes on Uninstall. These items are added in the same fashion that other files are added to the install and Wise puts them in a separate component. In there Components view, you can't even set a key for this component. I doubt most in these forums aren't too familiar with Wise as I have basically just switched to it myself.

I wouldn't see how this component would be a problem as it will only act on something installed on the C:\ drive at uninstall time.

I'm guessing this information won't help much.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 00:44

What is the directory assigned to that component? If there is no key path defined for a component the key path becomes the target directory. Check in the component table what directory is listed in the directory column.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 15:21

The directory is TARGETDIR.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:21

When connected to the network, go to add/remove programs and locate the setup in question, hit modify and see whether the features are set to "run from source". If so, change them to run from the llocal computer and then unplug from the network and launch the application.

There are also several other things that can be wrong, but please check the above first.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 16:54

Is TARGETDIR your main instalaltion directory, or is Wise using something like INSTALLDIR for this like InstallShield? If you can reproduce the problem generate a log to see the value of TARGETDIR.

To work around the problem you could try setting TARGETDIR on the command line to something that always exists, like C:\

To fix the package change the destination folder for these components to INSTALLDIR or whatever you main instalaltion folder proeprty is.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 15:01

Wise uses INSTALLDIR as well.