This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

*NEWBIE Q*- How to replace a file in an MSI

8 replies to this topic

dacow

dacow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:04

Hi guys,

I have a package which comes in an MSI format however I need to replace one of the files inside the MSI.

I have used various tools including Installshield Developer, I can open the file and I hve located the component where the file is located. However when I unset the Key File, delete the file and insert the new file. I cannot "Set Key file".. the option is there but it doesn't do anything.

Is there a simpler way? I have tried creating a transform file, but the transform file doesn't seem to have any option to delete an original file and replace the file?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:20

Maybe try to make an admin image of the setup: setup.exe /a
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:31

If the new file has the same name you don't have to unset key file. Simply replace the file.
If the new file has a different name: you cannot simply change the key file of a component. You would have to change the component code, and as a result you should change the product code.

dacow

dacow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 14:44

When I just add the file into the component, it asks me if I wish to replace the file. If I replace the file, the key becomes unset.

Sorry I'm new to all this, are you meant to just find your component, and just right click and Add the file into the component?

When I do this, the key disappears off the file and I can't reset the key. As a test, I picked the component which contained a CHM file. I can unset the key file and reset it at will. If I pick this particular EXE, as soon as I unset it, I can no longer "Set Key File". The option is there, I can click on it but nothing happens.

Edited by dacow, 17 August 2004 - 23:49.

dacow

dacow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:02

Is this due to the fact the component is somehow linked to another section in the MSI file and thats why you can't easily just reset the keyfile?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 14:04

No I believe this should work. What tool and version are you using?
BTW you don't even have to do anything in the IDE. Simply copy the new verison of the file to the locaton from where your setup proejct links, and the new version shuold be used when you rebuild your .msi file.

dacow

dacow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:34

I believe it's developer 8. It's weird because i can pick ANY OTHER component and change the keyfile in there. But for this one particular component it doesn't matter what i do i can't change the key file. I can add another file in, select the other file and say "Set Key file". It gives me the usual warning and tells me that a Key File has already been set, do I want to change it. I hit yes. And nothing happens. I refresh the screen nothing has changed.

Any other component it works fine.

All I really want to do is change one file, is there another method i could try?

dacow

dacow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:52

Sorry I just re-read your reply stefan, i have a MSI package.. and I wanted to change a file in that.

I'm not building a project into an MSI. I'm just trying to replace a file in an existing MSI. Transform files don't let me replace files in MSI's.

tooms@post1.tele.dk

tooms@post1.tele.dk
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 16:20

I can open the file and I hve located the component where the file is located. However when I unset the Key File, delete the file and insert the new file. I cannot "Set Key file".. the option is there but it doesn't do anything.

I have seen the same thing using adminstudio 5 Developer

1. I replace a exe file in a component (there is having a shutcut)
2. Try to click "Set Key file" on the new file but it do not work.
3. I open the "Direct Edit" of the msi and find the "Component" table
4. Find the "component" and in the table colume named "Keypath (S72)" you select the filename of the file you replaced instedt of a black name.
5. Save the MSI
6. Go back to the normal editor and select the componet
7. verify the replaced file is now a keyfile

Hope it work for you rolleyes.gif

Edited by tooms@post1.tele.dk, 27 January 2005 - 16:22.