This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component ordering

4 replies to this topic

remarlow

remarlow
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:11

A basic yet very frustrating problem. In the 4+ years I've been using IS I've never had an reason to do this, but now I do and I can't find a way to do it. Does anyone know if there is a way to order components alphabetically so that they appear as such in a component dialogue?

I've spent ages changing the various sections of the default.cdf, and my 60+ components are now appearing in alphabetical order in the IDE, but they still appear in some apparently random (but always the same) order when displayed in a component dialogue.

I suspect this is the order in which they were created, but where is this order stored? Surely there is some way to change it other than delete all my components and recreate them one by one from scratch in the correct order? (and then again, to varying degrees, every time I have to add a new component to the project).

Am I missing something obvious here?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 14:44

I've found that the ordering of the components in the IDE always matches what's displayed during the actual install. The fact you've been mucking with the default.cdf file may be the reason why you're not seeing this behavior.

Also, there is no way to automatically make them alphabetized as one doesn't always want them to be listed in that fashion.

Instead, to re-arrange them, do a Ctrl+drag in the IDE to make the selected item a sub-component, or use Shift+drag to simply re-arrange the component or to bring the component up a level.

Edited by TacoBell00, 28 June 2003 - 00:29.

user posted image

remarlow

remarlow
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 15:17

I'd hardly call it 'mucking about', it's a simple ini file format, but as I said the order of components must be stored elsewhere as well. The default.cdf controls the order of display in the IDE and something else controls the order of display in dialogues.

I didn't know about shift+drag, thanks for that, but it hasn't made any difference unfortunately. I restored my original default.cdf and then dragged the components into the correct order in the IDE, but they are still a jumble when diplayed by the component dialogue. All it seems to have done is what I did before manually in the ini file blink.gif

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 00:30

Okay, I'll look around then and see if I can track down another such data file.

By the way, what version of IS are you using? Is it 6.31?
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 20:00

I believe the order in which the components are listed in the IDE matches the order in which they will be copied. Apparently this doesn't apply to the order in which they are displayed in a component list.

If you create a custom dialog with a list box I think you could simply set the "sort" flag in the list box resource.

Another workaround would be a script created component set: duplicate your file components as script components, where you can control the order in which they are created.