This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Forcing an uninstall when updating/reinstalling

2 replies to this topic

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 20:53

Here's a strange situation I find myself in, I hope someone can provide some guidance.

I have an InstallScript project that I converted up from IS5.5. The install had both a server and client component (the client component essentially being the main setup kit copied to a shared folder along with a data file used by the installation script).

Before I took this over, when they would deploy the app out into the field, if the user ran the client install fromt the shared folder, they would be prompted to confirm the fact that they had to uninstall the old client (this was being done by going to the registry, getting the uninstallstring from the product entry, etc), then proceeding with the installation. When installing the server component, it would update the client folder with the new setup kit files, and no uninstall would be prompted for.

The main hurdle I am facing (now that this is out in the field and needs its first update), is the fact that IS12 doesn't permit my setup to run the new uninstallstring owing to the fact that the GUID hasn't changed. For this type of installation I should probably be changing the GUID, but that means that each time I do a build I'd have to be able to keep track of and de-install ALL possible previous GUIDs from this point forward so I don't have multiple entries in Add/Remove Porgrams. For a short-term fix, I modified the install to let the user know that they have to go to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the client before they can proceed with the install. Needless to say, this has not gone over well with the powers that be, since this means an extra step or two to do the uninstallation at more than 10 betas(apparently changing the version and just letting the components get updated hasn't worked out well for them in the past, and an uninstall at the start of the install is the preferred method, especially if a client system needs to be reinstalled to fix something).

Does anyone have any thoughts for a way to work around this?

maddy

maddy
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 19:25

Did u find answer to your question? I am in the same situation..

MarkEarle

MarkEarle
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:23

Did u find answer to your question? I am in the same situation..

maddy,

The answer for this would be different depending on the version of InstallShield you are using. What version are you running? Have you enabled the update functionality? We would need some more information if we are to see if we can help.

ME

Mark
Mitel Networks Corporation
mitel.com