This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install some files over a existi. installation by new instal

3 replies to this topic

CimTeam

CimTeam
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 14:33

Hi,

because of problems with the transforms and with different releases, we've tried to do an update by a new installation.

Only the exe and some dll's should be replaced.

But how to do?

If the new installation get's a new product code, it'll be a major upgrade. Because of this it's uninstalling all of the installed components.
That's really not what we wan't to obtain.

A installation which has the same codes, only a differnt packet code, didn't start. It notifies that the same product is already installed.

The setting of the poperty REINSTALLMODE in the property table seems to change nothing at the installation behaviour.

Has anybody an idea?

What will be the right way to change only some files with a new installation packet?

Thanks for any hints.

Regards,

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 11:01

To do an update by reinstall, here is what you have to do:
- All the GUID must be same in previous package and newer package.
- No new features (if you have some, there is a woraround I could explain you if needed)
- UpgradeCode, ProductCode are the same
- Generate a new PackageCode for newer package ( and increment your version but it doesn't seem to be needed)
- Build your new package
- In the setup.ini of your new package, add the command line 'REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus'
I advice you to carefully read MSI documentation about REINSTALLMODE Property to find the attribute that best suits your needs.
Hope it helps,
Rgards,
JSP

leslieh

leslieh
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 22:49

It does not work after changing package code and command line as suggested.
Any idea, pls?

jsp

jsp
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 09:09

Did you add any component?
Have you changed any key file in components?
I advice you to try you upgrade with a log file ( in adding "/L*v log.txt" in the command line) this will give you interesting information.
Regards,
JSP