This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Update of shared COM interop assembly

2 replies to this topic

kfraserwork

kfraserwork
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 00:20

I am trying to update a shared COM interop assembly. Windows Installer does not uninstall the assembly before updating it, so obsolete entries may be left in the registry. I have tried adding entries to the RemoveRegistry table, but it appears the entries are removed without regard to ref counts. So, if I have another application that still refers to the old version, my RemoveRegistry entries will break it.

Any suggestions on how to properly get rid of the obsolete registry entries? I only want to remove them when there are no more references to them.

My component is shared, so I supply a merge module. Therefore, I do not have control over what kind of update (major, minor, small) is performed, or how it is deployed (patch or update).

Thanks in advance,
Karen

TonyLowrey

TonyLowrey
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:27

If you take a look at what Stefan says in http://forum.install...showtopic=10286 he indicates that the shared COM Interpop registry entries should be in the Registry table and not in the Class, ProgID etc tables.

How are your COM Interops registered?

I am having trouble just getting my Interop DLLs registered so I guess your problem is one I am about to come to. I too have the DLLs in a merge module.

kfraserwork

kfraserwork
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 19:31

I am using InstallShield which inserts the appropriate entries into the Registry table. There are no entries in the Class or ProgID tables.

Does anyone know of any problems I might run into if I leave the obsolete entries in the registry? I hate the idea of leaving garbage in the registry, but I see no alternative.