This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ISD 7.03 clash with VMware 3?

10 replies to this topic

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 17:50

If I open ISD 7.03 while I have a VMware (3.0 or 3.1) Virtual Machine already open, my entire (WinXP) PC resets itself!

Is this something to do with the new Product Activation?  Is it somehow getting confused by the various networks that VMware creates?

Or is it my PC?

Does anyone have an identical or even similar configuration?  Does it work okay for you?

I can't believe I'm the only person who uses VMware for testing installers.
Paul Riley (Vector Networks), InstallShield User.

passat

passat
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 21:24

I'm having the same thing. I think it's a ISD 7.03 bug.

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 12:01

Thanks passat,

Geez, when InstallShield introduce a bug (pretty much every version), they really don't like to make it a small one, do they?

I'm inclined to agree that it is ISD and instinctively I'm sure it's related to activation (it's a huge change to the software that will be triggered every time you open ISD).

Now... if only I could figure out how to report a bug to IS without having to convince my boss that a support package is required (after learning from past experience that it's not all the helpful, considering the cost -- at least the first three mails consisted of me rephrasing the problem and the support department picking out key words and pointing me to barely related KB articles).

Damn, damn, damn! :(

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 12:13

Well, figured out the bug reporting... let's see if we can get any action out of them. ;)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 09:01

There's a known problem with the copy protection driver in ISD and the floppy drive IRQ line, as documented in KB article Q106005.
Maybe the same workaround will solve your VMWare problem.

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 12:05

Whether it does or not, it may explain why my floppy drive isn't working... I was about to go out and buy a new one.  Thanks Stefan, I'll let y'all know how this goes :)

pdriley

pdriley
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 13:29

Nope, this didn't work.  Didn't fix my floppy drive either.  I figured this might not necessarily mean the two problems weren't related, so I set out to fix the floppy drive.

Turned out that only needed a new cable; I happened to see one lying around and thought I'd try it.  The floppy now works even with the conflicting IRQs (I hoped as much, this is a new Gigabyte motherboard and I'm assured it pretty damned good).

However, the ISD/VMware clash is still present. :(

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 19:01

I've contacted the ISD program manager at InstallShield about this problem. She told me it is a known problem, and a fixed version is available. In order to receive the fixed version please contact me offline at skrueger@installsite.org and I'll bring you in touch with her.

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 00:48

Stefan, I've only recently started attempting to use InstallShield with VMWare and I'm running into the same problems.  Is it possible that the details of the fixed version be made available on the forums?

Failing that, may I contact you offline for the details?
Leigh Ravenhall
Expert Information Services

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 17:58

Anyone who needs the fix please contact me by e-mail and I'll tell you the e-mail address of the product manager who will be able to send you the fix. I don't want to post her e-mail address publicly.

muland

muland
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 16:22

I have had the same problem. In my world, the VM Ware image blows out and my host machine needs to reboot if I;
1) Install to VM Ware image
2) Leave VM Ware image up and running
3) Try to rebuild the same installer on the host machine

I can avoid this if after installing to the VM Ware image, I select a file in a different directory than the installer source (on the VM Ware image). This would seem to mean that the VM Ware image's knowledge of the current directory causes the problem if you attempt to delete the directory from the host machine.

Thats my current level of investigation because I can work around it with that.