This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Pecking Order of InstallShield Products

1 reply to this topic

jramsden

jramsden
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 14:36

Being new to InstallShield, I'm slightly bewildered by all of its different variations.

I've been using, and now plan to purchase, IS MultiPlatform. But I see there is also an IS DevStudio and IS Professional, among others, and the IS website doesn't make clear the distinction between them.

Could some helpful soul summarize roughly what is what. In particular, which one, if any, is the 'Big Daddy' compared to the others in terms of functionality (including multiplatform installs) and future directions for InstallShield as a product generally (as far as this information has been made publicly available)?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

John Ramsden

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:06

InstallShield Professional doesn't exist anymore. The "Professional" and "Developer" product lines have now been combined into InstallShield DevStudio.

DevStudio creates setups for Windows (95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/2003/CE/SmartPhone) but not for any non-Windows platform.

InstallShield Express is a sub-set of DevStudio.

InstallShield MultiPlatform creates Java-based setups that can be installed on Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac OS X, OS/400, Solaris/SPARC, and other non-Windows platforms.

This guide should help you to select the right product:
http://www.installsh...tor/default.asp