This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problems with Windows Server 2003

4 replies to this topic

babette83

babette83
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 14:21

I execute my MSI package in order to install my application under Windows Server 2003

The windows installer service is started, I have 2 msiexec.exe which are running on my workstation ( 1 under the user account and the other one under the system account ).

When prompted, I provide the various configuration screens of my installation with the proper parameters, then, I run the installation of .Net Framework version 1.0.3705

The .Net Framework installation is launched by an custom action which temporarily stops my installation and execute the DotNetfx.exe package provided by Microsoft.

.NetFramework got properly installed then my installation restarts, but during the execution of actions in the status window (just before verifyreadydlg) the installation stops and I have the error message :

“Error 2755 : The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755. The arguments are: 1601 »

I have noticed that the installation of the .NetFramework usually stops the MSI service which is run under with the system account privilege.

This does not happen with others operating systems.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Thanks in advance
mad.gif sad.gif mad.gif sad.gif

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 15:03

I don't think you can install .NET using a custom action. You probably have to have setup.exe do this before windows installer is initiated. Windows installer and .NET have many "hooks to each other" and I would be very surprised if you could do what you are doing.

I think there is an option in the project settings in Installshield developer (or the release wizard) that says "Install .NET". Enable this, remove the custom action and try again (important to try on a system without your .NET version installed too of course).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 15:05

One more note: If you have enabled terminal server on this server there are a number of exotic custom action issues to deal with. Specifically the custom actions need to be of a certain type to succeed in a terminal server install. I don't remember this accurately, and I don't have access to the SDK nor Installshield Developer right now. Look up terminal server in the SDK for more info.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

babette83

babette83
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 16:02

Thank you for your advices.

I'm going to see how i can do without installshield.

I think that I'm going to separate the .net installation from my installation.

thank dry.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 16:41

You don't have to use InstallShield. You can use any setup.exe that will first install the framework and then launch your own setup. You can find such launchers here on InstallSite and at microsoft.com