This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component Rules Question

3 replies to this topic

Jamie

Jamie
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 17:10

I am working through the component rules, trying to plan a strategy for rewriting all of our current installs (written in IS5.5).

I have come across and issue with the following rule:

"No file can ever be included in more than one component. This applies to applications, products, product versions, and companies. The name of the file should be changed if it is to be included more than once. "

I may be reading too much from the above statement, but doesn't this prevent you from having multiple files of the same name but different content?

Here's two situations:
1-Our Setup installs an number of Web Applications, each represented as a different feature so the user can decide which applications to install. Since each web application will feature a default.inc file, installed into their respecive directories (same name, different content), does this break the component rule listed above?

2-Each Web application contains a Help feature (written in WebWorks), installed into respective subdirectories. These help folders all share a similar folder structure, with many of the files being duplicated for each instance (same name, same content). Does this break the above rule?

If anyone can offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. I think I may be thinking too much, but want to be sure I start on the right foot so that future Upgrades will have a shot at functioning.

Thanks,

Jamie

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 18:17

QUOTE (Jamie @ 2004-01-15 17:10)
I may be reading too much from the above statement, but doesn't this prevent you from having multiple files of the same name but different content?

No, as long as they go to different directories.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 18:20

The reason for that rule is that reference counting is based on component GUID. If two applications install the same file into the same forlder but with different components, it will be deleted as soon as the first of the two application gets uninstalled, because the component ref count (for both components) is only at 1.

Jamie

Jamie
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 18:56

Thanks again for the quick responce Stefan.
You've clarified it for me quite well, this rule only pertains to the Sharing of common files between applications and features. That makes complete sense.

Thanks,

Jamie