This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Rollback

2 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 14:38

I just noticed, after I cancelled a Major Upgrade, the system was not restored to its previous state.  I could no longer access our application.

I know the major upgrade removes the previous product, but does this mean a Rollback image is not created?  Did I disable it somehow?  Is it NOT possible to have Rollback with a Major Upgrade?

I believe this was OK in the past so it's my feeling I screwed something up.  I haven't been paying much attention to this issue (as I should've been, I guess).  What can I check to determine the problem?  I need a clue to follow!

As always, THANKS!

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 14:32

When installing our upgrade (Major), I noticed that after the initial remove of the previously installed components, the 'backup files' are removed.  

Is this the rollback image?  Is there any way of preserving this so that if the installation of the newer or upgraded components fails, these backup files could be used to restore the machine to its previous state (where the previous install was full and functional)?

I hope someone can help.  This hasn't been a problem up until now but I feel I'm playing with fire.

Thanks as always!

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 14:28

I tried moving the RemoveExistingProducts action after InstallFinalize which appears to solve my problem.  The Remove action does still run but just prior to the completion of the installation.  What exactly is it removing at this point?

Also, if I cancel the installation during the actual copying of files or prior to actual completion of the new/update installation, it appears the system is rolled back to where the previous version of our product is functional.

Another question...  If a file(s) is included in the Major Upgrade, but is not placed/updated due to date and/or versioning rules, will this file (placed during the previous installation of our product) be removed when the RemoveExistingProducts is sequenced as mentioned above?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!