This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to change automatic message

6 replies to this topic

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 22:44

Hi Y'all,

Using Windows 7 and InstallShield 2011, my boss notices a message he would like to change.  It occurs when attempting to install an older version on top of a new one.  The message says, ""A later version of [MyProgram] is already installed on this machine. The setup cannot continue."  I don't see this message anywhere in the String Editor.  Perhaps it's something Windows Installer provides on it's own?  How do I remove that message and put up one of my own?

Thanks,

Gary

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:31

There is a somewhat similar message that's coming from the operating system. But it's not the exact working you posted. So the exact message you posted is coming from the setup I believe. Check the custom action table (in Direct Editor) for type 19 custom actions.

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:37

Thanks, Stefan, for your prompt reply.  I have two type 19 strings in the install, one starts "Old WISE installation of PI_Dats...", the other is [IS_PREVENT_DOWNGRADE_EXIT] which is "A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard."  These are the only two type 19 strings in either the new or older install.  When I do searches in the String Editor, the offending string does not turn up.

I will give you more information:  When I attempt to install the older version after the newer has been installed, there is a message box with the title "[Myprogram] - InstallShield Wizard".  The message is, "This setup will perform an upgrade of '[MyProgram]'.  Do you want to continue?"  There is a big blue circle with a white question mark to the left of the message.  I click Yes.  Then a new message box appears with the same title.  Instead of the question mark, there is a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark.  The message is:  "A later version of '[MyProgram]' is already installed on this machine.  The setup cannot continue."  There is only an OK button.

Maybe this extra info will help you answer the question?  Thanks again for your quick reply above!

Gary

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:59

Please also look in the LaunchConditions table. If that doesn't help, perform a full text search for the error message text (or a part of it that doesn't include the program name, e.g. "is already installed on this machine" or "The setup cannot continue"). And finally, a custom action might display that message, e.g. InstallScript, VBScript, JScript, DLL, ...

Oh, and I assume [MyProgram] is actually the name of your program (not the name of some runtime distributable)?

A prerequisite might also display such a message. Check or maybe temporarily remove all prerequisites.

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 18:58

The LaunchCondition table is empty.  I'm not sure how to do a full text search, clicking on the Direct Editor, I did Edit->Find for "setup cannot continue" (without the parentheses), there were no matches (I did continue the search at the beginning as prompted).  I did it for "cannot continue" and found several matches, none that had the whole message.

I created all the custom actions, none of which have a message like the offending one.

[MyProgram] is PI_Dats, just an executable name.

I don't know how to disable prerequisites, I have never knowingly edited the prerequisite table.  There are no Conditions, no Files to Include, no Application to Run,
no Dependencies.  Under Behavior I have checked "The prerequisite requires administrative privileges".  Below the choice is "Ask whether to continue the setup."

My boss says that if this problem is too tough, not to worry about it, so it is no longer a high priority.  I would still be interested in fixing this, but if you're no longer inclined to pursue this, please don't.  Thanks again for your help so far.

Gary

garyflet

garyflet
  • Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:04

I meant "without the apostrophes" not "without the parentheses"

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:14

Regarding the prerequisites: in Installation designer view, go to Application Data > Redistributables and see what's checked there, especially those with the blue square icon.