This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Ensure Boostrapper Sequence is not interrupted

1 reply to this topic

quirrel1002

quirrel1002
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:04

Hello,
I am just in the position where I need to create a Bootstrapper in order to execute several MSI installation in a given sequence.
Recently we had the problem that during login of a machine a installation started automatically without notice and so manually started installation could not run because there was another installation allready running. So there is a check needed for before installation starts to "see" if another installation is allready running. For this there is the possibility to check a Mute or registry key, but this is just a "snapshot of the current situation".

I am thinking what may happen if this automatically pushed installation (by IT) just starts running during the sequence of installations that a bootstrapper is running. Is there a way to "secure" the MSI execution sequence so that it can not be interrupted by external installations?

Any best practises or hints on this topic are appreciated.
Best regards,
quirrel1002

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:39

There's a very crude way to check if an installation is in progress: check for the existence of the registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress'.

EDIT:
I also found this

Edited by VBScab, 16 April 2010 - 10:45.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.