This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SEcurity PErmissions

1 reply to this topic

anjalai

anjalai
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 22:59

Hi,
Does anybody out there know to remove the Adminstrator, Systems, USERS group permissions created on a file/folder and then add my own group into the folder, so that th eperson who belongs to the group can only install the software.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
A

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 23:32

You've had a few permission-related posts (e.g. InstallShield "Basic MSI" Projects and File Permissions), and unfortunately, the answer is always the same. InstallShield Professional 6 has no built in support for setting permissions, so you'll have to defer to running the cacls command line tool to do this.

I also know that you've had some trouble with this utility, but unfortunately I've have yet to use it first hand, so I can't help you troubleshoot your problem and/or suggest example code.

However, the scenario you're describing sounds like a chicken and the egg problem, since only people who belong to this custom group can install the software, but it's your install which creates the group in the first place!

Edited by Taco Bell, 19 November 2003 - 23:33.

user posted image