This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade problem

1 reply to this topic

kavin

kavin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 15:02

Product Information:
Software:  InstallShield for Windows Installer
Version:  2.00
Maintenance Release:  none
Serial Number:  (deleted by group Administrator)
Product Type:  Full

Design/Build System Information:
Machine Type:  workstation
Chip Type:  intel

Target System Information:

Description:
Technical Component:  none
Issue's Area of Occurance:  File transfer
NT Only - Administrative Priviledges to Installation Location:  yes
Reproducable on All Machines:  yes
Problem:  
Steps to Reproduce:  When doing a minor upgrade, only some of the files in the distribution were overwritten with the new versions of the files even though I requested to overwrite all files (REINSTALLMODE=vamus).

I used Orca to look at the two MSI packages and noticed that for the files that WERE updated the corresponding record of the File Table had all the same data (except for the version number of course).  But, for the files that were NOT updated, the corresponding File Table records had different sequence numbers.  The number in the v7 package is one greater than the number in the v6 package.  

I did add one file to the distribution between v6 and v7.  Did adding this file cause the sequence numbers to change for some of the files?  Did the sequence number change cause the upgrade to not work?  Is there any way to add files between releases and still do a minor upgrade?

JustAFarmboy

JustAFarmboy
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 19:26

The addition of the file in v7 did update the sequence numbers, which is the reason for the sequence number changes  Just make sure that the Media table reflects this change, meaning the LastSequence field is equal to or greater than the highest sequence number in the File table.

The sequence numbers shouldn't affect the upgrade.  I've create an MSI which has five new files, and the patch and upgrade worked.  When upgrading files, keep these in mind:

1) If the files are versioned, the new file must have a higher version number than the previous file.

2) If the files are non-versioned, the comparison between the previous and new files are made using the Created and Modified dates.

When first performing the upgrade, I had trouble patching the files.  I created new components for any files that I added, and then put these components in a new sub-feature.  This seemed to help solve the problem.