This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Merge Modules are promised to die?

1 reply to this topic

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:11

Hi all.
I heared that Merge Module technology is going to be die and would not be soppurted in Vista in the future.

Is it true?
What should I do with all my MSM's?
Can I continue to make MSM's for my customers?
Someone heared something like that?

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 17:19

Merge Modules are not related to the end-user target OS, but to the setup builder and his MSI authoring software.
Once an MSI is created, the Merge Module is *merged* into the MSI. The MSI shows very little traces of the Merge Modules that went into it. For instance, it is not possible to remove a Merge Module from a MSI.

But MSMs have drawbacks: they are very hard to update. When you, as a MSM creator, have an update, you'll need to identify all MSI authors that used your MSM, and convince them to create an update of their products with your updated MSM.
The single reason that the Blaster worm was exactly this reason. MSDE2000 got an update (SP2 contained the fix) but it proved almost impossible to update all instances by third-party software. For that reason Microsoft did not create MSMs for SQL Server 2005.