This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Conditional install a component

2 replies to this topic

duck

duck
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 13:57

Hi,

I need urgent help. First I would like to say that I'm completely new in InstallShield. I'm working on web installer for our application and I'm using InstallShield 8.0.

I have a problem. I need to support conditional install for some components. For example: I have some components that need to be installed only if something is not already installed on system. I need to install JRE if it is not already installed for example. I want this to be done without user's knowledge about that. Can someone help me where and how to put conditions for something like this?

I repeat that I'm completley new with InstallShield. I saw many posts about conditional installing but it didn't help me. I probably need more informations?

Regards,

duck

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 20:41

I find that the easiest way to do conditional installs is to add a condition to the component itself (select the component, and add the condition to the "Condition" field), and then insert an immediate custom action either in the user interface sequence or near the beginning of the execute sequence that updates this condition depending on whether the component needs to be installed or not. You would need to make sure the condition is updated before files are actually installed (obviously). There are no clear rules for exactly where to put the action in the sequence, but I would put it after LaunchConditions, but before FileCost (and certanly before InstallInitialize).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:02

You can often do the searching part using the AppSearch table (or the System Search View in InstallShield). This will set a property based on the existance of a file or a registry entry. Then you can use this property in a condition.