This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade reinstalls ALL files

4 replies to this topic

davedoc

davedoc
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 18:33

We're trying to control which files we do NOT want to reinstall when performing a minor upgrade by using the Version attribute in the File table. From the REINSTALLMODE doc on MSDN the 'o' feature says "reinstall if the file is missing or is an older version."

What we're seeing on a minor upgrade is that when we have REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=vomus is that all of the files are being reinstalled even though we've only upped the version on one of the files.

I do understand that we could provide a list of features to update in the REINSTALL property, but we want to control this at a component/file level.

Is this possible, has anyone come across this problem before?

davedoc

davedoc
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 22:46

So it looks like Windows installer completely ignores the Version value for text files and this should only be used for binaries. Our problem is that config (text) files are being overwritten on upgrade.

I found that I can use the msidbComponentAttributesNeverOverwrite mask in the Attributes column to have these files not be overwritten.

Does anyone have a link detailing how Windows installer determines when a text file should be upgraded/replaced? I'm guessing it has something to do with size and timestamp.

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 15:11

Try this:

http://msdn.microsof...599(VS.85).aspx
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

davedoc

davedoc
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 13:10

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 18:10

that all of the files are being reinstalled

As per your description of the issue, you have stated that the version is incremented for only one of the files. It seems very strange that all of the files are overwritten.

Have you generated a verbose windows installer log?
Or do you have the log to share?

Regards,
Kiran Hegde