This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Bootstrapping Windows Installer 2.0 installation

2 replies to this topic

BrianO

BrianO
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 21:57

Hey there,
I have made an installation which installs the Windows Installer 2.0 if it is required and afterwards delay the reboot by looking up the Key value of the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InstallerLocation

It is returning the correct value e.g. "C:\Windows\Installer\INSTMSI0\"

But something is going wrong when executing the msiexec.exe afterwards. This is only happening on a few systems (win98 and 2k).

Then we have tried to reboot the system and Install the Installer again manually and rebooted again but the registry key isn't updated to the system folder which is is supposed to.

The workaround to this error is to handle the error in the installation by reading the system folder on the system and then sets the registry key to this value.

Have anyone had this experience and what could be wrong?

digitalfootprint

digitalfootprint
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 22:20

I had the pleasure of installing the MSI 2.0 installer on over 12000 machines. We used the boostrap method. 80% of my time was spent testing (over and over and over again) prior to the release. Our software push went as planned and no issue or problem arose. To clarify....

You have an installation you created that will:

1. Install the 2.0 if needed
2. Install your software
3. Then Delay your reboot?

or is it

1. Install the 2.0 if needed
2. Delay the Reboot
3. Install you software then perform the reboot

Are you installing under elevated rights?

"But something is going wrong" What do you mean by this???

Howard Hoy

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:56

When you install windows installer, i will install its service, and then reboot if it is required. You should then be able to user the service after the reboot.

What is that actual problem that you are seeing?