This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

minor update and aut. repair problem

2 replies to this topic

jwllms

jwllms
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:47

hi,

I have a vb6 project and use vsi to create a setp for it. this works fine. now ni need to add functionality -> new version of .exe en some files need to be replaced with new version of it.

In the vb6 project I up the version of the exe and rebuild
for the the file that need to be replace only change with contents.

when I rebuild the msi i manually put a new version on the files that nee to be replaced, and put a new package code.

a new install works good. An upgrade however...
I use msiexec /i xxxx.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /qb
this does not do anything (well actually it does do something, but not the required things).
then when i start the app, auto repair kicks in and reinstalls old version
Then I do the upgrade again,
Then it works as expected. new exe and files are installed.
I stumped....
If i do the upgrade 2 times in a row it does not work. I need to start the app to start the repair first.

I read here to check the event log. there is an error 1001 etc that points to the exe, but it is there! No files deleted, same build files.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Jo.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:43

Generate a verbose MSI log of your update install. Look for SELMGR messages in the log.

jwllms

jwllms
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 15:37

Thanks for you reply Stefan.
As I needed a sulution fast, I resorted to create a quickpatch with Installshield based on the msi of the previous version.
This worked fine (however there was a weird effect again:the .msp had to be copied a local disk before it would install properly).
I lost the logs i generated while reverting to base installs on my vmware installations.
As soon as i have the time, i will pick up on this.

Thanks!

Jo.

Edited by jwllms, 17 December 2004 - 15:37.