This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Conditional "Pre-Requisite"

8 replies to this topic

dcc

dcc
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 15:09

I am brand new to MSI and have some exp with installscript installs. My install requires that SQL 2005 Express be installed if the user selects certain criteria in the UI portion of the install package. Since the SQL install is MSI based, I don't want to (and perhaps can't) launch it from the install execute sequence via a custom action.

There are also other MSIs that need to be installed (AcroReader for one).

My thought was to build the UI in C++ and then just launch the MSIs one after the other via command line after I collect the user info.

Does this seem like a good solution or is there a better way to do business here?

One requirement is that managers be able to puch out the MSIs and future patches to multiple machines.

Thanks for any info,
DCC

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 17:10

Yes that sounds like a practical solution. Alernatively you could post-install 8instead of pre-install) SQL 2005. Of course that means that you cannot rely on any SQL functionality in your setup, i.e. you cannot create a database.

Be sure to properly separate UI from target system modification. If only UI is in the launcher there shouldn't be a problem, since automatic deployment uses silent mode anyway. Of course the administrator would then have to deploy SQL by himself.

grisdeya

grisdeya
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 20:01

Is it possible to translate a prerequisite dialog?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:21

Do you mean the dialog that lists the prerequisites?

grisdeya

grisdeya
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 23:51

Yes. biggrin.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:22

Isn't that dialog localized in multi-language setups (created with the Premier edition of InstallShield)?

frede

frede
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 14:31

QUOTE (grisdeya @ 2006-09-28 22:51)
Yes. biggrin.gif

You can directly edit the 0x0409 (or whatever name it has) ini file in the root of your setu and change whatever string you like

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 21:11

I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in that 0x0409.ini file. Does anybody know how I can change what is put in that file at build time without having to manually edit it after it's built?

-- spdygnlz --

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:13

It's taken from a template in a subfolder of the InstallShield program folder. Any changes you make to this template apply to all projects you build.