This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Want full re-install; not patch

3 replies to this topic

chriso

chriso
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2001 - 21:45

I want to create new builds of my app / install package and i dont care if the user has already installed an earlier version of the program.  If they go thru the process of installing an update, i want to run the full install again.  

But i am finding that in order to install a new version, the user has to uninstall the version thats installed and then run the new install.  Cant i create installs that dont give a rats a#@ if a earlier version was installed?

Using the RELEASE WIZARD, on the "Media Type and Patch Optimization" screen, i can specify a previous windows installer package.  Is this the problem?
Can i skip this?  Or is it something else?

thanks....

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 07:38

You would have to create a major upgrade, i.e. change the product code and populate the upgrade table. this will automatically remove the old version and install the new.

chriso

chriso
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 16:54

I see where i can <generate GUID> for the product code and the upgrade code.  

Are u saying to go ahead and generate new ones for both or just the PRODUCT code?

And where do i populate the UPGRADE TABLE?

thanks in advance...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 14:56

Change the product code, but leave the upgarde code. For details see the MSI help and the Upgrading document here on InstallSite.
If you are using IPWI the upgrade table can be found in power editor.