This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Massive MSI's with AdminStudio

1 reply to this topic

jdkc4d

jdkc4d
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 16:56

Pardon the noob question...

I know it is possible to take what would otherwise be an excessivly large MSI and break it up into smaller, inter-dependant msi's. I just don't know how do to this. Can anyone help?

As an example, we packaged an application the other day where the msi turned out to be 2gb in size. Now to then try to push this out through active directory on a slow network would be, well, not good. I read somewhere that you can for example have one msi with the app, and then some other msi's with the app's data.

We are moving to an all MSI environment, so I can't have folders or cab files sitting around.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 18:35

You can specify "release flags" for the features. So you could mark the data files with a release flag called DATA and the program files with release flag PROG.
Create two product configurations (in Releases view) and specify DATA or PROG as product configuration flags respectively. Also make sure you specify different ProductCodes (and setup filenames, and ProductNames) for the two configurations (also in the product configuration property sheet). Add a release to each configuration. Make that a network build with all files compressed. Build the two releases. You should now have two msi files, one with the program files, the other with the data files. Both generated from the same project.