This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing file to other programs's folder

1 reply to this topic

Anthony Hughes

Anthony Hughes
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:05

Hi all,

I've come back to InstallShield after a break of several years and I've forgotten most of what I used to know.. Doh!

Anyway, as part of my program's install (app A), I need to find the location of another program (app B) on the system and copy a data file into it's folder.

I'm currently looking for app B's main exe with a system search and storing the reult in a Property. I then have a CA that extracts the folder path from the filename of App B and stores it in another property.

What I want to do is use this second property as the destination for a component, but IS (v8) won't let me - I can't choose the property in the destination drop down.

I'm sure this is easy really - can anyone give me a hand?
Cheers
Ant

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:17

You should use a custom action (set a property, inserted somewhere before CostFianlize) to set the destination property of that component to the location stored in the propertty from AppSearch, e.g.
Source = DIR_OF_YOUR_COMP
Destination: [PROPERTY_FROM_SEARCH]
Condition: PROPERTY_FROM_SEARCH
The condition will make sure that the custom action is only executed if the PROPERTY_FROM_SEARCH is set. Otherwise this would cause your setup to error out (invalid destination for your component)