This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

roduct version

10 replies to this topic

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 08:24

Good morning all,

i have a little prob. i made an upgrade installation everything goes as expected only the product version numer is not opdated in the setup.ini file.So when i launch setup.exe from the add/remove panel , the preperations shows me the old product version.

how can i update the version number. or is there no waybut to edit the setup.ini , during the uprade ?

thanx a lot.
Greeting Fouad

stanhale

stanhale
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 13:07

Hi,

you can change the value of "DisplayName" in the Registry. You find it in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{Your Project-GUID}.

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 14:33

thx stanhale

i already doe change the display name. but i need to change the product version. the de-install preperations  gets this value from the setup.ini. i normally i would expect the upgrade to edit the setup.ini automatically, but it doesnt :(

if someone elke know how to edit the value please reply.

gr fouad

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 16:13

To update the product version load your IS project and open Tools | Options.  Then select the Application tab and fill in a new version.  Having done so, just refresh your build.  It's as simple as that.
user posted image

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 08:25

Hi Tacobell

i think you mean the project | options settings and not tools option. well my version is updated there and i also did rebuild after updating the version value. when i install the preperation show the new version value (for the upgrade). but when i try to remove the application, from the add/remove panel. the preperation shows me the old version :(
thanx anyway, i ll try to solve by editing the setup.ini

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 14:17

Yeah, I meant Project, but I see you figured that out.

Also, if you're new setup now shows the correct value, there's obviously more to your problem that just its defined product version.

Since this is an upgrade, that Add/Remove Program (ARP) entry may indeed be from the original installation.  Hence the old version number.

Does your upgrade setup make a new ARP entry and/or overwrite the existing one?  Do the two setups have the same GUID?  Either way, check out the registry to confirm which uninstall you are _actually_ running.  The location is as follows:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<PRODUCT GUID>
user posted image

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 15:05

Does your upgrade setup make a new ARP entry and/or overwrite the existing one?

i duno exactly what u mean with arp entry. if you mean the content of setup.ini , i think this overwriten. because the product name is updated to the new product name. but the version is not updated.

however if i run the repair of my installtion in stead of remove after the upgrade. the version string is updated. i really dont understand what happining there.

Do the two setups have the same GUID?

yes, they both have the same GUID. and i run the latest de-installed. bacause both the upgrade files and old files are de-installed.

[/B][/I][I][B]
Code Sample
[I][B][/B][/I]

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 18:05

ARP entry is my own personal abbreviation for Add/Remove Program entry.  I stated that above, but I guess you didn't catch that.

I'd like to help you though, but I'm have a little trouble with your own abbreviations.  Where exactly is this version string you keep referring to for the uninstall?  Is it's what's displayed in the setup's title bar or what?  An actual screen shot would help clarify the situation.

Also, if both installs have the same GUID, I find it hard to believe everything is being uninstalled unless you put in some custom uninstall code.  By default, the upgrade should overwrite the original uninstall routine and therefore only take off the files that it applied.
user posted image

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 09:09

hello TacoBell,

i am sorry, you did explainarp ;) but didnt pay attentions to it.

about the version strings:
if you check in the setup.ini there is a AppName string.
the content of my setup.ini looks like

[Startup]
EnableLangDlg=Y
AppName=Océ ........ 2.1
Engine=0
Copy=1
Source=0
[Languages]
Default=0x0009
count=14
key0=0x0005
key1=0x0006
key2=0x0013
etc.

the upgrade setup.ini has to be the same only the AppName is different. AppName = Océ ........ 2.2.

the installtion preperations window (see image) always gets the string to show from AppName. so when i upgrade AppName is not updated. and the de-installation preperation window show me Océ ........ 2.1

wel i hope you understand what i mean now. if not thanx anyway, i will try to solve or markt is and an kp(known problem)

p.s. i dont know hwo to add an attachment here, i ll mail je the images i mean

greeting fouad

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 15:25

Okay, I got your e-mail showing the screen shots and I think I've got the big picture now, so let me try and give you a way to fix the problem.

First off though, let me clarify my thinking.  Your original setup is using IS 6.30 and is applied correctly including creating an uninstall entry.  Your upgrade is using IS 6.31 (hence the new icon on the screen shot) and basically just updates existing files.  It appears it is simplified as it does NOT create a new uninstall entry nor overwrite the existing one.  As a result, the uninstall entry from the original installation is still being used.  That's why the AppName is still the old one.

To correct this you will need to have your setup script manually re-write this line in the original's setup.ini.  It appears there's not an easy way to actually change an existing line in a text file, so you'll need to read all of the existing lines, modifying the AppName as you come across it, and write the lines back out as a new file afterwards.  As you're probably aware, the setup.ini is stored in following location:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{Install GUID}

For future reference, I would avoid putting the actual version number in the AppName.  The preferred method is for it to contain just the product name (i.e. Océ ........).  Otherwise you have to deal with junk like this.
user posted image

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 15:48

your right about not using the actual version number in the AppName. i already removed it from th enew version :)

thanx a lot for your help